AIALIK BAY MULTI-DAY EXPLORATION
Join us in an exploration of Aialik Bay, where Holgate and Aialik Glaciers shed ice into blue-green waters, creating some of the most magnificent scenery in Kenai Fjords National Park. Aialik Bay's vistas encompass massive hanging glaciers on the mountain sides towering above to tidewater glaciers flowing into the sea below. This wonderland of mountains and ice gives us an opportunity for a once-in-a-lifetime, up close and personal wilderness experience.
Our longer trips focus on getting acquainted with the nooks and crannies of Aialik Bay. Expect a mix of beach walking, opportunities for photography and paddling with time for wildlife watching and contemplation. Rarely do people get a chance to experience true wilderness. One of the major advantages of having an extra day or two is the increased time to absorb this unique place. This wilderness journey is available as a three, four or five-day adventure.
- Wildlife Viewing Opportunities
- Remote Wilderness Camping
- Wilderness Photography Opportunities
- Evening Beach Walks
- Hearty, Specialty Meals
- Personable, Professional Guides
- Stable Two-Person Kayaks
- Variety of Route Options
- White Sands of Quicksand Cove
- Viewing Seals Hauled Out on Ice
- Holgate Glacier's Bergy Bits
- Exploration of Rugged Shorelines
- Pederson Lagoon's Ice Bergs & Glacier
- Calving of Aialik Glacier
- Circumnavigating Slate Island
- Coleman Bay's Magnificent Waterfalls
Included in Price
- Kayaking & Exploration
- Tandem Kayaks
- Kayaking Equipment
- Paddling Equipment
- Camping Equipment
- Specialty Meals & Snacks
- Professional Guides
- Sleeping Equipment (by request)
6 PM, DAY PRIOR TO YOUR TRIP
We meet at the Adventure Center, adjacent to the Kenai Fjords Tours offices at the Seward Small Boat Harbor. This is an opportunity to introduce ourselves to each other and to review the trip specifics. Your guides will distribute dry bags, rubber boots, offer packing instruction, discuss routes and options and give any last minute information regarding your trip and the following morning's departure.
Departure for our morning journey will take our charter boat through Resurrection Bay amid hanging glaciers, towering mountains and expansive vistas. Watch above for eagles, puffins, cormorants, oyster catchers and marbled murrelets. Watch below for sea otters, sea lions, orcas, humpback whales, porpoise and more as we cruise to our destination of Aialik Bay. Upon arrival we will set up our tents in a magnificent cove with distant views of the bay's glaciers.
Following lunch we'll explore the coastline of the bay. Before we head out on our first paddle, kayak instruction, skill development and paddle techniques will be reviewed on the shoreline of our wilderness campsite. Upon our return to shore a dinner of hearty fare will be served while we enjoy the solitude, scenery and good company. The evening is a good time to absorb the serenity of nature, stroll along the beach, enjoy quiet conversation or to just plain relax.
DAY TWO (OR THREE OR FOUR)
These will be active days of sea kayaking full of breathtaking paddling opportunities. Options are plentiful and your experienced guide will facilitate your Alaskan adventure based on wind, weather, tides and the dynamics of the group.
Options may include:
- A day of paddling among 'bergy bits' experiencing the feeling of being in a prehistoric slush cup. Our trance will only be broken by the thunder of glacial calving as rumbling ice crashes into the sea. We'll enjoy lunch beach side overlooking Aialik Glacier.
- A paddle to a glacial lagoon where we will kayak amongst large bergs and may encounter harbor seals in one of their favorite pupping and molting areas.
- A visit to Abra Cove and Coleman Bay. We'll kayak among magnificent waterfalls dropping hundreds of feet into the cove. A shore side lunch will be served in view of this unique landscape.
- Hanging in front of Aialik Glacier waiting for the roar and rumble of a calving and feeling the gentle swell of the ice generated waves passing underneath your kayak.
- Exploring the white sand beaches of Quicksand Cove, eyeing the shoreline for a frequently observed black bear.
Aialik Bay waters provide prime opportunities to view seals, whales and many pelagic birds. Keep an eye on the shoreline for bears and goats which frequent the fjord. On our return to camp your guides will cook a delicious meal, allowing our guests time to relax and ponder the events of the day
An early breakfast and camp break down will start our day. A morning of sea kayaking may be available before our charter boat returns to whisk us away for lunch while viewing the glacier. Our wildlife cruise home will take us to a sea lion haul out, sea bird rookeries and with a little luck will give us an opportunity to view more whales and orcas. Return to Seward is typically between 5:00pm and 7:00pm depending on weather and whale conditions. (Return times may vary unexpectedly. Please plan accordingly.)
*Return times may vary unexpectedly. Please plan accordingly. Our kayak camping itineraries are subject to change based upon wind, weather, waves and the pace / comfort level of the group at the discretion of your guides.
Pricing & Availability
3-DAY $1099/PER PERSON*
4-DAY $1299/PER PERSON*
5-DAY $1399/PER PERSON*
AVAILABLE: MAY 19 - AUGUST 31, 2017
*pricing based on 4 or more kayakers. Please contact us for pricing if your group has fewer than 4 kayakers.
A client-information form is required from all participants four weeks prior to our departure date. The information requested in this form will help your guides accommodate any special food or medical needs. Also, please carefully read through the kayak camping information page to ensure you are properly prepared to comfortably enjoy your paddling adventure. Your guide will attempt to contact you approximately three weeks prior to your paddling adventure. However, please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.